In this assignment, you will use the following transferable skill:
You will use this skill to contribute to professional, in-field knowledge through the creation of a product for your Public Policy Tool Kit: an elevator speech.
An elevator speech (also known as an “elevator pitch”) is a prepared statement that succinctly outlines an idea. The name is derived from the notion that the speech/pitch should be short enough to deliver your idea to someone with whom you are sharing an elevator ride.
The content of your speech will provide you an opportunity to demonstrate your ability to utilize your synthesis and/or evaluation skills in conjunction with your knowledge, application, and/or analysis skills.
To complete this assignment, do the following:
- Choose ONE of the following topics:
- The impact of play on children’s development
- The importance of family engagement
- The best use of technology in the program
- The achievement gap
- Special needs
- Another relevant topic that you are passionate about (obtain your instructor’s approval on your topic before proceeding)
If you choose a different topic, please discuss the topic with your instructor to make sure it is appropriate and relevant.
- In a single document, write three (3) elevator speeches about this topic. Each speech should be approximately 2 minutes (250-300 words) long and targeted to a specific, unique audience (for example, a child’s family, a colleague, a director of a program, or a community member or legislator). For each speech, address the following:
- Identify the audience for your speech.
- In your speech, argue the role that an early childhood professional has in promoting this topic.
- Write the speech using a professional tone appropriate for your audience.