1. What ethical, social, and political issues are raised by information systems?
Explain how ethical, social, and political issues are connected and give some examples.
Differentiate between responsibility, accountability, and liability.
2. What specific principles for conduct can be used to guide ethical decisions?
List and describe the five steps in an ethical analysis.
Identify and describe six ethical principles.
3. Why do contemporary information systems technology and the Internet pose challenges to the protection of individual privacy and intellectual property?
Define privacy and fair information practices.
Explain how the Internet challenges the protection of individual privacy and intellectual property.
Explain how informed consent, legislation, industry self-regulation, and technology tools help protect the individual privacy of Internet users.
List and define three different regimes that protect intellectual property rights?
4. How have information systems affected everyday life?
Explain why it is so difficult to hold software services liable for failure or injury.
List and describe the principal causes of system quality problems?
Name and describe four quality of life impacts of computers and information systems.
Define and describe technostress and repetitive stress injury (RSI) and explain their relationship to information technology.
1. What concepts in the chapter are illustrated in this case? Who are the stakeholders in this case?
2. What are the problems with America’s current medical recordkeeping system? How would electronic medical records alleviate these problems?
3. What management, organization, and technology factors are most critical to the creation and development of electronic medical records?
4. What are the pros and cons of electronic patient records? Do you think the concerns over digitizing our medical records are valid? Why or why not?
5. Should people entrust Google with their electronic medical records? Why or why not?
6. If you were in charge of designing an electronic medical recordkeeping system, what are some features you would include? What are features you would avoid?