- View the video Gaming to re-engage boys in learning (Links to an external site.) and read the article “Educating Boys for Success (Links to an external site.)”.
- Compare and contrast scholarly research on this topic. Find one recent (within 5 years) peer reviewed scholarly article in the Ashford University Library on the topic of boys in schools. In at least a paragraph, compare the article’s findings to both the video and the article, “Understanding and Raising Boys.” What information is supported in all three resources? Are any facts refuted? How do these resources either support or refute your stance on this topic?
- Reflect on your personal views and experiences with this topic. How will your experiences and views have a positive impact on your work with children and/or teachers in your career? What adjustments might you have to make after further researching this topic? How will you uphold best practices and ethical conduct for teaching boys in the classroom?
- Propose at least one activity that can be done in the classroom that models best practice for teaching boys. Support your use of this activity by stating specifically how it aligns with best practices and the NAEYC Code of Ethical Conduct (Links to an external site.).
- Summarize your stance on this topic by creating a four-to-five sentence philosophy statement. In your statement, be sure to explain how your stance aligns with developmentally appropriate practices and how it is supported by theory. This short statement will be added to your overall philosophy of education.