To gain an understanding of the recovery community, it is important to attend an open meeting of a 12-step group or other group focused on recovery from an identified addiction.
Locate an open recovery meeting in your community (Dallas Texas) or an online recovery meeting that you can attend. It must be an open meeting, meaning not a closed group: outside people are welcome to attend. Just like the experience of a person seeking recovery, it is your responsibility to find a list of meetings and explore to find a meeting or group.
Attend at least one recovery/meeting
Write a 3 page paper that addresses the following questions about your experience:
· Describe the meeting and the major recovery program components you observed during the meeting.
· What was it like for you to engage in this experience? What did you notice about yourself in the process? How does your spirituality influence your experience of the group?
· What do you believe to be the most important take-home message from the experience? What, specifically, from this experiential exercise will inform your work as a therapist?
· What, if anything, was the most surprising part of the experience?
· What would you want to tell someone, who may minimally understand addiction and recovery, about your experience? Consider what you may share with a future client.
· Include any additional personal or professional reflections. Tie your experience to what you have been reading about and learning in class.
Format your paper according to APA guidelines.