Mental Measurements Yearbook Review and Ethical Use of Assessment
Complete a review of an assessment in your specialization area of School Counseling using the Mental Measurements Yearbook (MMY). Read the review for your chosen assessment tool in the MMY and other scholarly articles that establish the appropriate use of the assessment and what it purports to measure.
Complete the following for your assignment:
- Identify the history of assessment in counseling. Describe the importance of assessment in counseling and the role of assessment in your specialization.
- Complete a review of the selected assessment. What is the reliability and validity of the assessment?
- Analyze the theoretical basis for the selected assessment tool in your area of professional practice. (All assessments are rooted in theory. For example, the Beck Depression Inventory is rooted in Beck’s Cognitive Theory.)
- Apply ethical considerations associated with administering the selected assessment. Provide an example to demonstrate that you understand how ethical considerations apply to the use of your selected assessment. Some considerations include counselor or therapist competency, client rights, counselor or therapist responsibilities, and legal issues.
- Evaluate the appropriateness of the assessment tool for use with the diverse groups that you may encounter in your specialization using the reviewer’s evaluation of the assessment and your own conclusions. How does this comparison inform making an ethical judgment of administering the selected tool with diverse groups of clients? Be certain to integrate these codes into your discussion and cite the relevant sections of the code of ethics for your profession (ACA, AAMFT, or ASCA, linked in Resources).
- Discuss how an analysis of this review convinced you to use or not use this assessment in your specialization.
- Incorporate a minimum of five scholarly research studies applying the selected assessment tool in professional practice.
- Written communication: Written communication must be free of errors such that the overall message is clear.
- APA formatting: Resources and citations are formatted according to current APA style.
- Number of resources: Minimum of five scholarly resources (distinguished submissions will likely exceed that minimum).
- Length of paper: Four to six double-spaced, typed pages, excluding title and reference pages.
- Font and font size: Times New Roman, 12 point.