Please go to the following case:
1. Discuss some accepted models of mental illness, i.e., psychological, biological, behavioral. How do these differ? What assumptions are being made?
2. How do these different models influence the treatment of people with mental disorders?
3. Tell the class the history of the present case. What does “right to treatment” entail for Singleton? Does Singleton have schizophrenia in your opinion?
4. What are the assumptions about mental illness held by Singleton’s lawyer and the prosecutor? Support your answer with direct quotes from each lawyer.
5. Each lawyer appears to believe in a different model of mental illness. What model is each lawyer using to support his/her argument about how Singleton should be treated?
6. What is artificial sanity? Argue your own side of the case.