For this assignment, you will examine a particular case within a special population, and then develop a broad understanding of the role of the forensic psychologist in a correctional setting.
First, you must choose a unique case study or special population as a whole. Some examples are listed below:
- Selecting a case from the headlines such as a recent high profile criminal case that has a clear intersection with mental health.
- Making up a case example based on your interests, prior case examples you have read, or a mixture of all of the above.
- Selecting a population as a whole that we may or may not have touched on in class including, but not limited to:
- sex offenders
- violent offenders
- military offenders
- women offenders
- juvenile offenders
- offenders with substance use issues
- offenders with life sentences
- high profile offenders
- prior law enforcement who are incarcerated
After you have selected a case study, describe the particular characteristics of the individual’s population and what particular issues they may deal with in a correctional setting. Be sure to address the following:
- Relationships with other offenders and staff
- Possible issues with authority
- Treatment-related concerns
- Relevant research on this population and its interaction with the correctional system
Next, you will discuss different aspects of correctional settings and how you could influence this individual or population as a forensic psychologist. Be sure to include the following:
- Treatment options available for your particular individual or group’s needs.
- Include treatment options while in jail, prison, or community corrections.
- Discuss the availability and flow of treatment as the individual or population moves from the correctional environment to the community.
- Be sure to discuss the efficacy of treatment options available.
- Other ways you may affect this individual as a mental health practitioner, administrator, or forensic psychology researcher.
- This may include ideas for new initiatives, research, or systematic change
- In discussing this you should identify areas where change is needed, what the issues are, and potential steps for the future
Additionally, discuss your overall impression of the mental health services available in different correctional settings, and then evaluate the degree to which your population’s needs are met.
Finally, be sure to include how the treatment program relates to overall rehabilitation and recidivism in the community once released.
Support your Signature Assignment with 10 resources, including those you located as part of your annotated bibliography in Week 3.
Length: 12-15 pages
Your paper should demonstrate thoughtful consideration of the ideas and concepts presented in the course by providing new thoughts and insights relating directly to this topic.