There are 5 conditions which must be fulfilled (see below). However, you are ultimately responsible for choosing the topic and direction of your essay.
1. Roughly 1500 -1800 words double-spaced (MINIMUM). It is permissible to go over the 1800 words if needed (no excuses about not knowing you could write more to fulfill the tasks)
2. You must present an applied topic. The topic could be from lecture or from outside lecture. If you choose to use a topic we did not cover in class you must verify the topic and readings with me before you begin.
a. Examples: Freedom of speech, terror, euthanasia, etc…
b. In presenting this topic, you should consider the notion of moral permissibility not just preferred behaviors.
3. You must use an objection that both applies generally to the theory and the situation. You must also attempt to meet/answer the objection.
4. You must tie your applied topic into a previously covered theory of ethical evaluation. Examples: Kant’s deontology, Mill’s utilitarianism, Ethics of Care, Virtue Ethics, Social Contract Morality (Hobbes or Rawls and his egalitarianism), or even one of the other theories (but they would need to do additional reading for clarification of the ideas).
5. You must include one secondary source and provide a full MLA/APA/WHATEVER works cited page. (This means citing the articles we used IN CLASS)