Assessment and Diagnosis
Write a 750-1,000-word paper that addresses the following:
**********please include an introduction and conclusion
**********Please use the attached template**********************
· A definition of screening, assessment, and treatment plan
· What is the assessment process for identifying addictive disorders?
· What considerations must be made for choosing an appropriate assessment tool?
· A general overview of the substance use disorder criteria according to the DSM.
· A discussion about the potential problems that can arise when a counselor relies solely on the diagnostic criteria listed in the DSM for treatment planning.
· Include at least two examples of commonly used substance use disorder assessment tools.
· Discuss the need for crisis management when working with a client.
· Include a minimum of two scholarly sources in addition to the textbook.
When writing the paper, consider using the following level-one APA headings to help organize the content:
· Assessment Process
· General Overview of Criteria
· Potential Problems
· Crisis Management
Prepare this assignment according to the guidelines found in the APA Style Guide
*****I want to give you some tips for how to score well on this assignment.*************************
· Review the rubric!
o If you want to get points for a certain area of your paper, look at the rubric. It tells you how to make this happen
o One common error is that people do not include an Intro or Conclusion, and so it is hard for me to rationalize that they have a strong Thesis Statement & Development score. Be thorough and show strong attention to detail. If it is not present = 0.
o Address all the content areas identified in the guidelines for the assignment.
o Use an appropriate structure for your paper.
o FIND 2 PEER-REVIEWED SOURCES
§ Not web pages. Scholarly = Peer-Reviewed / Published
§ Aim to use current resources as well. Sometimes dated information leads people to state things as fact when they really are not viewed this way in the present.
o APA is King in the counseling field
§ All written submissions you will do in this field assume you understand APA format.
§ If you are not sure how to do this, consult the APA Manual and do a full read through for a few hours. This will earn you so many points in the future.
§ Find reputable web resources for specific formatting questions if you feel stuck.
§ Also- check out: https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/research_and_citation/apa_style/apa_style_introduction.htmlThis page has lots of good resources
The rubrics for each assignment are fully utilized in my courses, and I have high expectations for my graduate students in relation to writing and articulating your message through your assignments.